Homeworkgate is like a badly written episode of Sunset Beach. We’ve had lack of forethought from Arthur & Clarke, confidence shattering press conferences from Pat Howard, 4 players being excluded from test selection and Australia being deservedly handed their asses again (Sings “Three nil to the India! Three nil to the India!”). Yesterday another revelation came to light.
Far from being an intellectual, which is no bad thing, Edward James McKenzie Cowan is nothing more than the class creep, the class grass.
That’s a shame because Yates was warming to him. Not any more though.
There is a sort of logic to Cowan’s thought processes:
- Australia are not the cricketing force they used to be
- There aren’t many who can command an automatic place in the test side – my test average is only 33
- There aren’t many who are knocking on the door for a place in the test side
- Shane Watson keeps talking about wanting to open – he is after my place & a therefore threat to it
- There are two Ashes series coming up that any Aussie would want to be a part of
- I want to captain my country
- The best way to ensure my continued place in the squad is to brown nose the captain and the coach, spout the same management b*ll*cks they do and grass on those who don’t conform
Cowan is intelligent and ambitious but like his captain and coach may not have thought this through properly.
By coming out as the class grass, Cowan has painted a target on himself. For now he has joined Arthur and Clarke on the list of those who must be absolutely perfect at all times. One foul up, one falling short and there will be people who will look to nail him.
Who will want to share a room with him now? Having a sugary cup of tea before going to bed? Reported to the captain and coach. Listening to your mp3 player while in bed? Reported to captain and coach. Still awake past midnight? Reported to the captain and coach. Farting loudly in bed? Reported to the captain and coach.
You get the picture. Underneath the management bulldust and equivocation there is someone who must be seen as untrustworthy because he is a slave to ambition. Leadership and management isn’t about making little notes and bleating to the captain and the coach.
I don’t know if Gray Nicolls will be making Ed Cowan branded kneepads or Durex will be making Ed Cowan branded dental dams, but Cowan had better be prepared for a rough ride from here on in. He would do well to remember the kind of “accidents” that happen to the class grass. Especially if you’re fielding close in.
Cowan has made his bed. Now he must lie in it and accept the consequences.